To promote the development and optimal utilisation of Nigeria’s raw materials for sustainable industrial growth.
To be an indispensable catalyst for industrial growth and development in Nigeria.
Testing & Analysis of Raw Materials
Research/Publication on Raw Materials
Sample & Specifications of Raw Materials
RMRDC was established by the RMRDC Act, originally promulgated into law by Decree 39 of 1987 and presently cited as RMRDC Act, CAP R.3 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.
RMRDC was established at a time when dwindling foreign exchange earnings from petroleum was expended to import raw materials and products which were available or could be competitively produced in Nigeria. It commenced operation in Lagos on February 10, 1988. Currently, RMRDC operates from its corporate Headquarters in Abuja with coordinating offices in the thirty six (36) states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). RMRDC is today, Nigeria’s focal point for the development and utilization of the nation’s vast industrial raw materials resources, thus facilitating the establishment of new resource-based industries which in turn provide new job opportunities and contribute to the nation’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
The mandates of the Council as listed in the Act are:
- Draw up policy guidelines and action programmes on raw materials acquisition, exploitation and development
- Review from time to time, raw material resources availability and utilization with a view to advising the Federal Government on the strategic implication of depletion, conservation or stock-pilling of such resources
- Advise on adoption of machinery and processes for raw materials utilization
- Encourage publicity of research findings and other information relevant to local sourcing of raw materials for industries
- Encourage growth of implant research and development capabilities
- Advise on and devise awards or systems for industries that achieve any break-through or make innovations and inventions
- Organize workshops, symposia and seminars from time to time designed to enlighten people on new developments and solutions discovered
- Undertake measures to ensure the systematic exploitation, development and utilization of Nigeria's raw materials resources.
- Undertake research and development on local raw materials for utilization by industries.
- Liaise with relevant regulatory agencies for the standardization of raw materials to meet industrial specification.
- Promote Nigeria’s competitiveness in raw materials and products development.
- Establish raw materials analysis and certification laboratories for use by industries.
- Consider and advise on special research grants for specific objectives, and
- Consider and advise on any other issue capable of enhancing the objectives of the Council.
RMRDC offers policy advisory services to government on raw materials exploitation, stockpiling and deletion as well as on tariff matters as they relate to raw materials import and export.
RMRDC also mounts periodic advocacy and publicity activities to show case its efforts and research findings to the public for uptake and possible commercialization. This achieved through multi-facetted collaboration other stakeholders including those in the print and electronic media.
Apart from helping the development of viable entrepreneurs, RMRDC applies the triple helix in facilitating the emergence of raw materials processing cluster and in providing equipment of common facilities in addition to injecting science, technology and innovativeness into existing clusters
The Council encourages local content development in boosting of high quality and disease resistant varieties of agricultural raw materials, farm inputs, design and development of technology for value addition to raw materials as well as local contents awards to individuals and company that utilizes very high percentage of local raw materials in production.
RMRDC in collaboration with individual researchers, tertiary and research institutions carry out R & Ds in relevant areas of need in the sectors of Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN). RMRDC also uses its laboratory at the African University of Science and Technology (AUST) to research and character. In cases where necessary, a pilot stage is attained to rouse the interest of investors for commercialization, as well as sourcing for funds to deliver on this area of its mandate
The Council is in the business of designing and developing technology for processing raw materials into products. RMRDC also carries out upgrade and optimization of indigenous/ traditional process technology in order to reduce drudgery, improve aesthetics and increase production capacity. This may include catalytic model plants, pilot plants as well as Joint Venture Company (JVC) with individuals, state government and other stakeholders.
The Council provides consultancy and business investment advisory services to investors. It provides business/investment information/data and helps investors develop bankable pre-feasibility and feasibility reports/plans. Under this activity, the Council also executes industrial trouble shooting, project evaluation and monitoring.
RMRDC also considers human resources as raw materials that need continuous development and therefore carries out capacity building and skill acquisition training in various areas of raw materials development such as best practices cultivation and production, postharvest handling, processing and packaging. Basic and professional ICT training for individuals, groups and corporate bodies are part of our training services.
As part of its mandates, the Council carries out workshops, seminars and conferences to discuss topical issues on raw materials, prospects and challenges with a view to gathering stakeholders opinion and devising strategies to deal with issues of policy, raw materials sourcing and utilization, technology for value addition and challenges faced by stakeholders amongst other.